Organic chemistry concept map is a good way to reinforce the reactions you’ve learnt in your H2 A Level Organic Chemistry.
The best way to remember these organic chemistry reactions is to practice. Concept maps are a great way integrate what you have learnt in the various organic chemistry chapters as they link reactions from one chapter to another. In part 1 of organic chemistry concept maps, we focus on the first half of the topics in H2 A Level Organic Chemistry (i.e. alkanes, alkenes, arenes, halogenoalkanes and alcohols/ phenols).
In part 2 of organic chemistry concept maps, the focus will be on the later topics learnt in organic chemistry i.e. carboxylic acids and derivatives, carbonyl compounds and nitrogen compounds. As we should always look at all the chapters in organic chemistry as essentially one topic, these concept maps do test some reactions that you have learnt in earlier chapters.
Before attempting to fill in these concept maps, you may like to revise organic chemistry reactions. You can find a compilation of the organic chemistry reactions tested in H2 A Level Chemistry here.
If you prefer to download a pdf copy of the following concepts map, you can click on this link here to download. This download includes the answers to the following concept maps as well.
Organic Chemistry Concept Maps on Carbonyl Compounds
A large part of the carbonyl compounds chapter involve distinguishing aldehydes, benzaldehydes and ketones from one another or from other functional groups. I’ve included these distinguishing tests in the concept maps below.
Do note that for some answers below, they could be simply just no observable reactions.
Organic Chemistry Concept Map starting with carboxylic acid and its derivative
Although this concept map starts off with carboxylic acid and acyl halides, I do include reactions from the nitrogen compounds (i.e. amides and amines) here as well.
Answers to Organic Chemistry Concept Maps Part 2
If you are interested in answers to the above concept maps, download them below. You’ll get both the concept maps (with blanks for you to fill in), as well as the answer key.
- Organic Chemistry Reactions Tested in H2 A Level Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry Reaction Mechanisms
- Organic Chemistry Concept Maps Part 1
- Organic Chemistry Concept Maps Part 2
- Structural Elucidation Questions
On-demand A Level Organic Chemistry Courses
- Introduction to Organic Chemistry
- Alkanes, alkenes and arenes
- Halogenoalkanes and halogenoarenes
- Alcohols, phenols, carbonyl compounds (ketones and aldehydes), carboxylic acid and derivatives of carboxylic acids (e.g. esters and acyl halides)
- Organic nitrogen compounds (amines, amides, amino acids, peptides and proteins)
Physical and Inorganic Chemistry A Level on-demand courses
- Mole concept, stoichiometry and redox
- Chemical bonding and gaseous state
- Chemical Energetics
- Reaction kinetics
- Chemical Equilibrium
- Ionic equilibrium (acid and base equilibrium and solubility equilibrium)